Saturday, September 13, 2008

Your choice, My life

Today i met a new therapist. I already have a perfectly fine therapist that im working with but my mother and her feel i need more "support." Of course they never really asked me what i wanted to do but i guess it's fine right? No, its not fine i dont want to see anymore therapists i like the women im seeing now and they want to go and change everything again. How do they know how much help i need that should be my decision not theres. They want me to see this new therapist so she can find a group thats SHE feels is right for me. And like my mother and old therapist shes not going to ask me my preferance. Personially i dont want to work with this new therapist or start a group. Ive tried groups before and i dont like them. All they do is waste time and they dont even help me. First of all everyone has to sit in a circle which i hate because i feel like everyones watching me. I dont like talking to people in general and they want me to pour my heart out to total and complete strangers. And i have to listen to their problems too. I dont care about their problems. I know that sounds shallow but im not a paid therapist and i have enough of my own problems already that i dont need theirs floating around in my head too. And i'm a sensative person, i'm not going to deny that and when i hear their problems i start to feel sorry for them. And that prevents me even more from opening up because their problems may be worse and i dont want them to feel like im complaining about nothing. Now i know i shouldnt care about what complete strangers think but they have their own problems and i dont want to add to their stress, just like i dont want them to add to mine. Plus by going to this group and new therapist i cant see my old therapist until the group is over. Which in my opinion is ridiculios because the old therapist knows me and who i am. She knows when i'm not feeling myself and when i dont want to talk. She gets me more than any other therapist ever has and now i have to stop seeing her until after this six month group is over. I've had alot of therapists in my life but never one like her. I can talk to her openly without thinking about what i'm going to say. And they're taking that away from me. Don't they get that no matter how many useless sessions i have with this new lady, that it's not going to make a difference. I want to tell them how i feel but i can't disappoint my mother. She is trying so hard for me to get better. I know that i never will but my mom still has hope. And when i dont try something she suggests she gets mad at me and yells like its my fault i'm not getting better. I'm trying everything i can but i know that me leaving my old therapist won't be helpful. I guess I'll have to deal. I'm used to being let down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sucks, Mel.
That would piss me off too; Time with your therapist should be comfortable and open, and like you said should be with someone you trust. Now, I know that you wouldn't think I understand that you have problems, but everyone has problems. I don't know yours, but I do have my own. So in a way I understand. Just don't give up. I know I sound really cheesy, but it doesn't all have to be bad. I don't want to offend you; I don't want you to think I'm not taking whatever upsets you seriously. But I've had rough times in my life as well. Things you wouldn't expect because I don't like to advertise it to the world. I just want to say not to give up on yourself. The more open-minded you are, the more chance you have of feeling better.

-Lianna